Monday, March 12, 2007

Of Pills and Preparations.....

About three weeks ago I was moving stuff from my home to the storage shed. I had the music going (Tool, natch), rocking out and just generally getting into a rhythm. As I was doing this, I turned to grab a large box, and instead, hit it just right, so that it bent my wrist horribly. It hurt like hell, but I figured it would be OK and I kept going. Fast forward to today, and it still hurts like hell, so I figure something has to be wrong. I decide to go to the doctor, who gives me a prescription for the pain, tells me to wear a wrist support and to go have x-rays done.

I take the x-rays, but won't know the results quite yet, because the town I live in is behind the times.

My Town: "What's that?"
Company: "It's a machine that allows you to see x-ray results immediately. It's really quite efficient and handy."
My Town: "That's the devil's handiwork, oh foul witch! Grab this foul sorcerer that we may burn him upon the stake!"

Yeah, it's that bad. Actually, it's worse, but I refuse to type how backwards they speak, lest it somehow infect me and I begin to speak the same. Nevertheless, the x-rays were done without a hitch. The problem comes when I head back to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription. When you go in, you know they're going to ask you if you'd like a pharmacist to go over the prescription with you. My ex was (is) a nurse, so I just let her explain it to me, if it was needed. Well, now she's gone but I'll give her a call if I need to. No such luck.

I don't get the option, I have to. I won't bore you with the details, other than to say that it's a pain killer that has nasty side effects. So here's my rant:

Why the hell doesn't the pharmaceutical industry spend some money on developing drugs without harmful side effects? Let me get this straight: I take this pill, and my pain will go away, but I'll be drowsy, have acid indigestion, stomach aches and cramps and diarrhea? Where do I sign up?

Personally, it sounds like a scam. The pill doesn't really do anything for pain, it just gives you a host of other problems which will for sure take your mind off the pain. It's really hard to be worrying about pain when you're worrying about making it to the bathroom in time. Thanks, but if it's a choice between hurting and shitting my pants, a little pain never killed anyone.

And now, for something a little different. I thought about putting this first, but I don't want my blog coming to be known as some idiot's adventure in cooking shit. Still, it's something I'm particularly proud of, so I'll share it.

Last night, I made my first corned beef brisket. It came out melt in your mouth good. It was delectable! I've decided that I think I like cooking, it's the preparation I hate.

No comments: