Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Chili Project, part 2

OK, the chili is done. The kids apparently liked it, though they drowned it in cheese. The ex-Mrs.Sharkboy and her son liked it. Well, I don't know that he liked it, she said he had some on his hot dog, which is how they had it. And there's something deeply satisfying about that, and I'll tell you why. Thanksgiving 2006, the kids are supposed to be home (we have joint custody, 50/50), but they were over at their mom's for the first part of the day (since she had to work that evening). As they were getting ready, they were asked who was cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and they said "Dad is", to which they got laughter and some rude comments that I forget (I only know about this because it really bothered them and they told me about it). Now, I'm sure that part of that was because they're vindictive, mean spirited jack holes, but part of it isn't.

The one and only time I ever cooked a turkey pre-2006, it was a disaster. I followed what I thought were the directions (plus a phone call to my mother, which at the time was not something I ever cared to do). When it was time to pull it out, it smelled great. It looked great. All nice and golden brown, the way a Thanksgiving turkey should. But when I stuck the fork in, ready to carve a huge slice, it crumbled. Apparently, the golden brown skin was a cruel joke. But, being that it was in Los Angeles at the time, there was no shortage of places to go, so all was not lost. That and subsequent cooking disasters had me swearing off doing anything more than what could be microwaved. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2006, and the food turned out far better than their moms, a fact they gleefully took pains pointing out. Remember, she's a damn good cook. Topping that was nothing short of awesome.

Since our separation, she has made it known here and there, in indirect ways, that she does not believe me capable of providing healthy meals for my children, much less anything else. So, I'm sure it comes as quite a shock when the kids aren't eating Kid Cuisine and corn dogs all the time. On the contrary, they actually have healthy, home cooked food. They have the other stuff from time to time, mostly when I don't have enough time to cook anything else, or am too tired (something all parents know about, I'm sure). I'm sure it's even more of a shock that I actually cooked it, and not heated it up from a can. Made from scratch, beeyotch!

OK, sorry, I'm a little full of myself in that once again, I have not only proven that I can make it without her (never called her for cooking help once), but that I pull off a marvelous chili recipe (even if the recipe came from a friend). This chili, however, is the first thing of mine she's ever tasted since she left. So now she has confirmation, and if that doesn't shut her up, nothing will.

So yeah, the chili came out really good, and my youngest daughter even took some with her for her lunch tomorrow. Without cheese. So, will I ever make this stuff again. No. That's what I'd like to say. The reality is, yes, I will, but it will probably be when I forget this whole fiasco. Or I get a food chopper that actually chops food instead of pureeing it (what a concept o.o).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bravo! See, told you you could do it. Doesn't matter where the recipe came from, as long as it worked splendidly and it did, so there! :)